Disclaimer :
Excuse the ramblings of a middle aged man and don't rely on the information provided within this blog.

If you read this blog - please leave a comment. If you don't I will come to believe that there are only 22,000 people in the world (the population of my home town) and none of them have access to the internet or that none of them can read.........probably the latter.

Monday 19 April 2010

Why do I support FCB - the unanswerable question.


I don't know.

Whenever I meet someone and I get asked that question the answer is almost always ...."erm". There is no logical reason. Some could say I'm a glory hunter but the truth is I started to support the Blaugrana way before they were the world beating outfit they are today. In fact
my first true memory of Barca was the Dream Team 4-0 mauling at the hands of Milan in 1994, so my introduction was hardly a high. I started to truly support Barca upon the introduction of La Liga by Sky Sports in the mid to late 1990's.
I suppose I could just as easily fallen for the other La Liga team, but it just didn't feel right. The other team didn't have the character. An early memory (and I would love for someone to tell me exactly when it was) was that of De La Pena driving the medical cart around the pitch, having been subbed with injury, with team mates on board celebrating either a league or cup victory. Maybe I owe my devotion to the 'Little Buddha' with the enthusiasm, entertainment and joy he brought that night.....

There is something about the club and it's humanitarian and sporting ethos that has got under my skin. I can't explain it.

The evidence against :

  • I am not Catalan or Spanish.
  • I don't live in Spain. I live in the UK, 200 miles from Manchester so I should really be a Man Utd fan !
  • I can't speak or read Spanish. I have taken a course but have come to the conclusion that I'll never be able to ask for anything other than "two beers, please" (even if I am on my own).
  • My personality is against the Catalan type.
  • I'm not a worldly traveller which would enable simple associations and understanding of culture. (My first foreign excursion was in my early 20's)
I am fortunate.

I get to watch almost all of their matches in the comfort of my own home (more regularly than any English fan can claim to see their team). I have been able to watch my team play a number of times in the UK. I am even more fortunate to have seen them play in Camp Nou. Rather unfortunately the cost of watching a 'home' game rather racks up the pennies so with a wife and children what is a loving husband/father to do ? But then when a home game is in such a magnificent city it is truely worth it........

Do you have support for a club that has no logical grounding ? I would love to hear your reasons so that the next time I get asked "Why do you support Barcelona?" I can eradicate the word "erm" from my answer...............at least for a few "umms".

No comments: