Disclaimer :
Excuse the ramblings of a middle aged man and don't rely on the information provided within this blog.

If you read this blog - please leave a comment. If you don't I will come to believe that there are only 22,000 people in the world (the population of my home town) and none of them have access to the internet or that none of them can read.........probably the latter.

Wednesday 12 May 2010

Sergio Busquets

I am sure that every club has one. He's the one player in the squad that you, as a fan, would love to get hold of and shout "Sort yourself out !!"......amongst other things.

There is nothing more annoying to me than a player with all the talent in the world that falls down whenever the wind changes direction, and unfortunately Busquets falls into that category. I believe that Sergio is a decent midfielder and has the talent to become a great one. Already at the age of 22 he's won many trophies (including at Barca's junior level) and has been capped by Spain.

However, I don't think he will ever attain his potential until he cuts out the play acting. (Whilst he is not alone in the theatrics he is the one that is the most embarrassing and noticeable.) Due to the way he plays he can get caught in possession (which is dangerous in his defensive midfield position), but his normal reaction in this scenario is to go down like he's been 'capped by a mobster. Why ? He's a big lad with a turn of pace, why not hunt the ball back down rather than trying to con the ref. Better still, don't get caught and move the ball quicker (a la Xavi).

I may be biased but I think Barca, as a club, are pretty honest which may go some way to explaining why we are respected. It is the European, and especially Iberian, way to try and 'get one over the officials'. They consider it an acceptable part of the game and even admire it. Could that be why Maradona has a smile whenever asked about the 'Hand Of God'?

It's not Corinthian and I don't like it which is why I hate to see (even) opposition players being affected by such acts. In the Champions League Semi 2nd Leg I think Motta would have walked sooner or later regardless of Busquets acting but it cast a shadow over the reputation of the club and I despise that more than anything.......

No comments: